Microsoft started the FAT (File Allocation Table), the idea was simple. A table describes the file and where its parts are located in the hard disc sectors.
Then it invented the NTFS (New Technology file system), WinFS (Windows File System) Making the windows files locate even faster and very appealing.
I want to propose a new file system. The (GeoFS) Geographic File System, this will support GeoUI (Geographical User Interface) idea.
From my experience with files, I care about these parameters:
- I want to see files I usually work on (Last modified/view date/time) (Spider net)
- I want to see how large the files are (I don't want to click to see that show me that instantly)
- I want to remember where I placed my files
In GeoFS I will try to remove the concept of folders. GeoFS supports files only (KISS keep it simple)
Lets see how this goes.
- We will have a big white Sphere, lets call it the File Space.
- You can pan and zoom to this sphere as in Google Earth exactly.
- You can divide your File Space as many areas as you like and label them. Example here is the work area, here is the personal area.
- You can move any files into any area.
- Files appear as icons, text files have the text icon, video have the video files and so on.
- Larger files appear as larger icon. So as I pan and zoom in the File Space sphere I can intuitively see which files are large in size and which files are relatively small.
- Files that you use frequently or opened, will always show up at the files space surface without your need to zoom in.
- As you zoom in, the older files will start to appear (with the date and time on the upper right of your File Space). You can reverse this view to show the older files first.
- You will have one text box up to type a file name. This will show the searched files on the file space sphere as you type.
- Newer files will have a shiny look, older files will start to get a spider net look. As they get older the spider net get thicker.
- Finally you can have three modes,
View mode: Show me the files I viewed recently (at least today) and as I zoom I will get the older files.
Edit mode: Show me the files I edited recently (at least today) and as I zoom I will get the older files.
Now guys you may expand on or critic on this idea, I would love to hear you all.